Where & When
DATE - Monday 12th April - Friday 16th July
TIME - 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
At any time during the Summer Term 2021, your school can take part in our Boccia challenge. Boccia is a Paralympic sport similar to bowls in which players are seated and take it in turns to roll, throw or kick coloured balls towards a target ball (the jack). The Boccia activities (attached below) are designed for primary school aged children, to encourage them to have fun whilst trying a new sport, and to develop their target skills.
You can complete the activities below with any equipment you have available:
- A chair, wheelchair or bench for each person in play
- Boccia balls (or you can use under-inflated small footballs, beanbags, juggling balls or even balls made from paper and tape)
- Hoops (or masking tape or chalk) for marking target areas
- Beach ball (if available, or a lightweight ball such as a sponge ball)
- PE equipment of any type to create obstacles for Boccia Golf
You could start with the GB Boccia Basic Training Drills, which help children to develop the target skills and tactics needed for the game of Boccia.
Alternatively, you could move straight onto the School Games Boccia Primary Challenge Card, which contains fun challenges for children to develop their skills. The activities in this challenge are:
- Beach Ball Blast (allows players to develop their throwing skills by trying different techniques)
- In the Scoring Zone (develops target skills and tactical thinking)
- Boccia Golf (provides a fun way to compete and measure target skills)
You could play a series of games of Boccia (Rules attached below) and send in your scores.
Just for fun, or to develop throwing skills, you and your pupils could play Sock-ia at home (or in class) – see the activity card attached below.
How to Participate
To participate, simply:
- Register your school using our booking form
- Download the activity cards and score sheets (below)
- Have fun trying out the activities!
- Send us your score sheets and / or and photos
The main focus of this event is inclusion, participation and fun! We would love to see photos or hear about the fun you’ve had trying out these Boccia activities. If you are feeling competitive, you can compare your results with other schools in your area.
The Paralympic sport of Boccia is a tactical target sport similar to bowls. You can find out more about the game using the links below: