Year 5/6 Tag Rugby Qualification Event
Where & When
DATE - Wednesday 27th March
TIME - 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Barnsley Rugby Club
- TIER 1 – Competition more suitable for teams/individuals who have had a practice prior to the event with rules more strictly adhered to and possibly a progression to a further competition
- 8-a-side – squad size at discretion of schools
- There must be 4 boys and 4 girls on the field at all times
- Rolling substitutions (gender mix must remain 4/4)
- Games will be played on Grass for this event so please wear appropriate footwear for the conditions
- Tag Belts must be worn round the waist on top of any clothing with a tag on each hip
- Please bring your own tags & belts if you have them however, these will be provided
Attacking & Defending
- A free pass is used to start the match and to restart from any infringement or sideline ball. Free passes can not be taken closer than 7 metres from the goal line so any infringement inside this or over the try line will be taken from 7 metres back.
- The ball must be passed backwards from a free pass
- The defending team must be 7 metres back from any free pass
- A try is scored by placing the ball with downward pressure over the try line – try’s will be disallowed if the attacker dives or slides uncontrolled to score (this is at the discretion of the referee).
- Once a try is scored the defending team will restart with a centre pass.
- The ball can only be passed sideways or backwards – a forward pass will result in a free pass to the opponents
- Defenders are not allowed to strip the ball from an attacker while they are in possession – they can only intercept passes
- If the ball is dropped forward (knock on) the defending team will receive a free pass
- Players should try to carry the ball in 2 hands at all times and attackers. Players are not allowed to use their free hand to block a tag or to hand off players. This will result in a free pass to the defending teams
- Attackers must run at spaces – NOT directly at defenders. If the referee deems an attacker has run directly into a defender, the defending team will receive a free pass
- Each team will get 6 legal tags to try and score a try. If no try is scored in 6 tags, the defending team will start with a free pass at the position of the last tag
- Offside occurs immediately after a tag. When a tag is made all defender must retreat behind the ball towards their own goal line. If a player does not do this and intercepts a pass or impedes the attack then they will be deemed to be offside resulting in a free pass
- Defenders can run from an onside position once the pass has been made to try and intercept
- When tagged the attacker must pass the ball
- The ball carrier should attempt to stop as soon as possible and pass – within 3 strides as a rough guide
- Players are allowed 1 stride after being tagged if in the process of scoring a try
- The tagged player must retrieve their tag before getting involved in play again
- The tagging player must pass the tag back to attacker after the pass has been made before they can get involved in play again – they MUST NOT throw the tag on the floor. This will not count as one of the 6 tags if so.
Bookings are closed for this event.